Monday, January 5, 2009

An Audacious Review of Book Reviews

I mentioned Foucault as an interest of mine in an earlier post and I thought I would clarify that endorsement by referring you to two book reviews that I wrote on Foucault 2.0, by Eric Paras.

Foucault has been interpreted, for the most part, as a structuralist, anti-humanist, and fairly obsessed with power. With the recent arrival of Foucault's lectures given at the College de France during his final year when he was not writing, a new interpretation has become available. Namely, that Foucault was really a humanist, that is concerned deeply about the human subject, which is the main point of Foucault 2.0.

If this interests you, you may want to look at my short education-focused review in Education Review or my longer philosophical treatment in Parrhesia: A Journal of Critical Philosophy.

No comments: